Sweet summertime…I look forward to you so much! But then when you arrive, I get the small urge to bury my head in the sand. I know you mamas out there know what I’m talking about. For months the school has been keeping the children entertained, now it’s your job. The good news is…it isn’t winter break, so they aren’t stuck inside and stuck on you 24/7 anymore. And if you’re like me, you have other little ones who are always with you, so it isn’t too big of a challenge. Even so, after being stuck indoors for months, finding things to do to keep cool (in more ways than one) can be somewhat of a head-scratcher. It’s time to get out and enjoy some sun!
1. Play in water of course! If your children are anything like mine, then they love playing in water during those sun scorching days. My mom found this sprinkler mat at Big Lots for about $5. My daughter has been playing with it for 3 summers now and it never gets old to her. We introduced the twins to it a few weeks ago, and they loved it too! If you don’t have something like this, never fear, my children also just love being sprayed with the water hose!
2. Just Explore. This might sound boring, but children really do love to just walk around and explore outside. Especially really little ones. They’re seeing and experiencing nature for the first time and it can bring hours of entertainment. But if they get tired of picking flowers and rolling around in the grass (or eating bugs and dirt like my Lucas), then bring out the play equipment. We don’t have a swing set, but we do have this little slide that the kids love to play on! The kids also share the big wheel. It really doesn’t take much…
3. Head to the park. This is probably a no-brainer, but I wanted to add it in anyway because my children love the park SO much! We don’t go very often, but when we do we are there what feels like all day. We pack water and ice-pops plus some small snacks. Time passes quickly and my kids are exhausted when we get home. Which means early bedtime and a good night’s sleep!
For the rainy days…
4. Play dress-up. This is a family favorite in my house. Even my boys love to play along. It is definitely a winner for those days where you’re unable to go outside. This too provides hours of entertainment. Winner winner chicken dinner!
5. Build with blocks. This one also might be a no-brainer, but if you’re a first time mom you may not know yet just how much little ones love to build with blocks. All three of my children sit down and build towers, castles, things I have no clue what they are…and they actually play nice together for once. There is something about this activity that makes my children behave so nicely. Score! Puzzles, crafts, baking, coloring, and reading books are all great options as well!
An extra little fun activity I thought I’d share…if you have a kiddy pool and a play yard. It works well to put the play yard in the grass and then put the pool inside. Fill with water and toys. Your little ones can sit in there and play till their hearts content, and you don’t have to worry about them getting out and in over and over, or slipping while trying to do so. Which means mama might have just a few minutes to catch some rays and catch up on social media!
I hope you all have a great summer and I hope your kiddos enjoy all of the fun activities! Stay cool!