If you are able to go on a babymoon, DO IT! It’s so easy to get caught up in prepping for your baby’s arrival, but it’s also important to take a step back and enjoy the time you have with your partner. When your baby arrives, you and your partner will rely so much on one another. It’s great if you are able to invest time in each other before your family grows.
I was able to take a babymoon before the arrival of our second baby. We got to explore Victoria, BC which is just a few hours from where we live. It was really special because it was the first time my husband and I had been away for 2 nights without our oldest. We were able to sleep in, have leisurely meals and just walk around care-free. It was perfect.
It was especially perfect because I packed the right things. I knew some of the activities we’d be doing and what the weather would be like. As a seasoned Mom, I also knew what I should take advantage of since I’d be without children.
What to Pack for a Babymoon:
1. Maxi Dresses. As far as maternity clothes go, maxi dresses are key to looking cute and feeling comfortable. They are easy to dress up or dress down. They are perfect for touring around major cities, cruising the tropics, or going out for a quiet dinner.
2. Swimsuit and Cover Up. If you are traveling during the summer or going somewhere warm, you’ll definitely want these. But, you may also want them if you are going anywhere that has an indoor pool, regardless of weather. Being in a pool while pregnant is amazing! Pack a cover up so you won’t have to worry about wiggling out of your clothes at the pool.
3. Sunscreen. It’s important to protect your skin anyway, but it’s especially vital when pregnant. . I love Babyganic's SPF 50 spray on sunscreen because it's not greasy and soaks into my skin. It's also perfect for babies (6 months+) so you can share later on.
4. Skincare Products: If you have a favorite stretch mark cream or lotion, make sure to pack it! I really liked Mambino Organic products because they smell great and felt so good on my skin.
5. Comfy Shoes/Sandals: If you are going on a Babymoon later in your pregnancy, you'll definitely want to pack comfortable footwear. I like FitFlop sandals because they go with a variety of clothing styles and I can walk around all day without getting tired legs or feet. Plus, I didn’t need to fuss with buckles, which can be your enemy when you can’t see your feet!
6. Jewelry: Wear as much jewelry as you can because once baby arrives, you might not be wearing your favorite dainty pieces because babies like to pull on dangly earrings and necklaces. I wore my Vintage Honey necklaces a lot because they gave my maternity outfits a pop of colorful fun!
7. Haircare Products: Bring your straightener, curling iron, haircare product of choice so you'll look extra cute in your photos. This may not be a priority after baby so take advantage while you have the time.
8. Small Purse: You will probably be lugging around a large diaper bag for the next year or more. Carry a small purse while you can!
Perhaps the best thing you can pack is an upbeat attitude! You may be a bit more tired and walk more slowly that you are used to, but if you're able to focus on spending time with your partner and just enjoying your surroundings it will do wonders for you and your pregnancy!
written by VHS contributor// Marcie Cheung
Marcie in Mommyland