With my first baby, I painfully poured over reviews to find the best stroller, bassinet, swaddle, and bath tub. I bought everything under the sun from all the major retailers. With my second baby I have really focused in on only a few things that you won’t find in any big box store…
1. Dockatot – this is at the top of my list for a number of reasons. My 1st reason being that sleeping through the night is not only good for everyone involved, it is imperative when you also have a toddler running around in the morning. I know that this maternity leave will be way different from the first and having a baby that sleeps will make everything so much easier…I also love the mobility of the Dockatot from room to room, a must-have quality for baby gear!
2. The Ollie Swaddle – I found out about this swaddle a little while after my first child turned 6 months and was no longer swaddling and I vowed that I would scoop this swaddle up for baby #2. I love that it is made of moisture wicking fabric to reduce the risk of overheating. The reviews tell all with this one – when it comes to babies sleeping for long stretches since birth or even though the night - parents swear by it.
3. The Puj Tub – I realized pretty quickly that having a toddler and newborn wasn’t going to be easy and I am pretty determined to still spend as much time with my toddler as I can so we have decided to combine bath time by bathing my toddler in the tub and the newborn in the sink using the amazing Puj Tub. Don’t be deceived by its looks – it is made from soft foam that cradles and comforts baby while allowing parents to stand (AMAZING!!!) during bath time.
4. Nursing Necklace – after a few months of breastfeeding, babies will start to claw and pinch at your neck and your face making nursing a daunting task. With Baby #2 I invested in some stylish nursing necklaces from The Vintage Honey Shop to give baby something to focus and grab onto while nursing and even babywearing (which I plan to do a lot of).
5. A Nursing Cover/Carseat Cover/Shopping Cart Cover/Scarf from Covered Goods – I cannot wait to use this one! The 4-in-1 versatility makes it an absolute must-have. I dread nursing in public and hope that the Covered Goods cover with the 360 degree coverage will make this task a little easier as I know it will be something I won’t be able to avoid with an active toddler running around.
6. Binxy Baby Shopping Cart Hammock –I thought I would just want to be home during those first few months after having a baby but it was easy to get cabin fever and sometimes you just need to get out of the house. My favorite place to go other than for a walk in the stoller was a therapeutic trip to Target. Since you should never prop the infant carseat up on the shopping cart and putting the carseat in the shopping cart then leaves no space for much needed purchases – the Binxy Baby Hammock cradles the baby (or the carseat) making shopping with a newborn no longer a stressful outing.
Simplify, simplify, simplify is my motto for Baby #2. We don’t need a ton of different bassinets, strollers, and baby seats. Just a few key items to make life with a newborn and a toddler a little bit easier…
written by VHS contributor// Megan Vanderslice